Pablo Neruda (1904-1973), the winner of the 1971 Nobel Prize for literature, is considered by many readers and critics to be the foremost poet of the Latin American world in the twentieth century. His poetry, which often taps into the deepest, most elementary aspects of nature and existence, has been tremendously influential.
What caused him to change his name?
"Pablo Neruda." Dictionary of Hispanic Biography. Gale, 1996. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 15 Feb. 2011.
Amelia Earhart was an American aircraft pilot who set numerous records, including being the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic. She disappeared mysteriously in the Pacific during a pioneering flight around the world.
- photo from American National Biography, quote from Biography Resource Center: "...an eloquent orator who broke racial barriers throughout her life, served three terms as a U.S. Democratic congresswoman from Texas in the 1970s. She gained national prominence and respect in 1974 as a freshman congresswoman on the House Judiciary Committee, whose members were considering, in nationally televised hearings, the impeachment of President Richard Nixon..."
Welcome to San Antonio College Library. You will use the information in this guide to assist you with your assignment---a five (5) paragraph essay on how you might be similiar or different from a famous person.
Today we will stretch our knowledge of library resources and reduce our "research anxiety."
This essay is a comparison and contrast essay that discusses the differences and similarities between you and a famous person. Professor Garcia has given you a long list of famous people to consider. You will do research using the SAC Library databases. Your resources must be cited on a Works Cited page using MLA style. Use MLA format, 12 pt. type, double-spaced.
Many of these people came from poor families and struggled to get an education. Some of you may also come from the same background. Some of these famous people loved art, science, sports, etc. Perhaps you do too. Some believed that human beings have certain rights. Perhaps you agree with them. If you have nothing in common with any of the famous people on the list then what ways are you different? Find three (3) ways in which you are similar and/or different from Amelia Earhart, Patrick Henry, Frida Kahlo, Jackie Robinson, or any of the others on the list.
These three ways in which you are similar and/or different from the person you choose. These three areas of similarity and/or difference will form the body (three paragraphs) of the five-paragraph essay.
Buena suerte (good luck)
Begin by asking what facts do you know? What facts do you need to find out? Start with....
2. What did he or she do? What contributions did he make? What is her claim to fame? What motivated him?
3. When did he or she live?
4. Where did he or she live?
5. Why was he or she motivated? Why was she influential? Why is he important to you and/or other people?
6. How did he or she make her contributions? How did she affect you?
2nd floor - Reference collection, Internet computers, Reference Desk, Helpful Librarians!
3rd floor - Circulating collection (check out books & media), Circulation Desk, Group Study Rooms!
4th floor - GET CHANGE $$, Check out Laptop Computers, Reserve Desk, Interlibrary Loan, Paper & Microfilm Periodicals, Special Collections