Celita Avila ~ April 19, 2013
EDUCATION, READING, COUNSELING
To support the education, reading, and counseling curriculum, materials will be acquired to keep the collection current on new theories and techniques in the field of education, distance learning, reading, and counseling.
SCOPE OF COVERAGE
Language: English will be the primary language of the collection, unless there is a special request from a student or faculty for materials in another language, especially Spanish language material.
Geography: United States publications are emphasized, with some world educational materials purchased.
Chronology: Emphasis is placed on the purchase of materials published within the last five years.
All formats may be considered for purchase. Serials are heavily relied upon for current material. Textbooks provide background information. Audiovisual materials will be reviewed for selective additions. CD-ROMs and DVDs are generally added when accompanying print material, but may be purchased separately when available.
Materials will be identified through recommendations in or from:
b. Review sources:
c. Publisher and association Discoverys/web sites:
- Library Journal
- Bowker's Books in Print
d. Reference sources:
- Phi Delta Kappa International
- American Association of Community Colleges
- International Reading Association
- Teachers College Press
- Scarecrow Education
- Guilford Publications
- Teacher's Video Co.
- Films for the Humanities & Sciences
- Out of print: alibris; abebooks
- Guide to Reference Books [Ref Z1035.1 .G89 1996]
- Books for College Libraries [Ref Z1039 .C65 B67]
- Walford’s Guide to Reference Materials [Ref Z1035.1 .W33]
- Core List of Books and Journals in Education [Ref LB14.6 .C798 1991]
- Education: a Guide to Reference and Information Sources [Ref LB15 .B89 1999]
Superseded editions will be removed from the shelves unless they are listed in a major reference tool. Qualifications for indefinite retention include: historical information on the subject; local connection; community college connection; listed in standard reference works; out of print.