Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
San Antonio College Library, 1819 Main Ave., San Antonio, TX 78212
, Foreign Languages & ESL
, Open Access
, Sign Language
, Women's History
Creative Commons Licenses Explained: Click on image to view video
"Open Education Resources (OER) are teaching, learning, and research materials that are either (a) in the public domain or (b) licensed in a manner that provides everyone with free and perpetual permission to engage in the 5R activities." Creative Commons
What are the 5Rs?
The 5Rs are permissions assigned to copyrighted works. The more Rs attributed to a work, the more "open" the work is.
- Retain - the right to make, own, and control copies of the content (e.g., download, duplicate, store, and manage)
- Reuse - the right to use the content in a wide range of ways (e.g., in a class, in a study group, on a website, in a video)
- Revise - the right to adapt, adjust, modify, or alter the content itself (e.g., translate the content into another language)
- Remix - the right to combine the original or revised content with other material to create something new (e.g., incorporate the content into a mashup)
- Redistribute - the right to share copies of the original content, your revisions, or your remixes with others (e.g., give a copy of the content to a friend)
This material is based on original writing by David Wiley, which was published freely under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license athttp://opencontent.org/definition/ (Links to an external site.)
Find more information on OER
Community College Consortium for OER
CCCOER provide resources, support, and opportunities for collaboration for learning, planning, and implementing successful open educational programs at community and technical colleges.
Creative Commons Licenses Explained: Open Image in a new tab to enlarge
The 5Rs and Creative Commons Licenses
Located in the Moody Learning Center (MLC) building, floors 2 - 5
Reference Desk: (210) 486-0554 * Send Email
Copyright © 2015 San Antonio College